Maca is a tuber vegetable found in the Andes and grown in Peru and some areas of Bolivia. It is a food with many properties and benefits for our body and fits perfectly in diets for athletes and people who want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
It can be consumed in different ways, which makes it a very versatile product in the kitchen. Even so, the ignorance of its nutritional values can generate some doubts. In fact, many people wonder whether maca is fattening or not, as well as what its benefits really are. If you want to discover if this food makes you fat or if it helps you lose weight and other aspects of its properties and benefits, here we recommend you read this article.
Does maca make you fat? – The answer
The main property of maca is that it affects the levels of estrogens and testosterone, favoring their increase. Therefore, maca can make you fat or it can help you lose weight, depending on the type of metabolism of each person and the state of health prior to consumption. Most people are affected by gaining something if they consume a lot, especially by increasing fluid retention, by raising the levels of sex hormones and by containing carbohydrates, of which if abused, weight is gained. However, with a moderate consumption of this tuber, in most cases, it does not get fat. Thus, with these exceptions, maca is NOT fattening: like every food, it depends on the balance you have between diet and sport.
In addition, thanks to this property and others it has, the consumption of maca is highly recommended for some women because it helps regulate female hormones, such as estrogens, contributing to their balance in menstrual cycles. It is also a great ally for those women who suffer from poly cystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and is a food that reduces the symptoms of menopause, as it increases energy and reduces hot flashes. It can also help to improve depressive states.
After resolving the question of whether maca makes you fat, what may really interest you are its properties and benefits. According to scientists from the National Institute for Nutrition and Food Safety, Chinese CDC, Beijing, China  , the nutritional composition of maca indicates that it has a high amount of proteins, amino acids, fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins (especially vitamin B and C), tannin, riboflavin, thiamine, steroids, holster, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, sodium, phosphorus and potassium. Other elements of its composition to be highlighted are alkaloids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and glucosinolates and plant holsters.
The amount of protein that maca contains differs depending on the type, as well as the contribution of other nutrients. In this sense, the one cultivated in Peru has higher levels of certain nutrients than that of the Chinese region of Yunnan. Regardless of where it is grown, the predominant nutrient in maca is carbohydrates: around 50%, sometimes reaching 60% of the total nutritional value. Regarding fiber, it contains 9%.
Maca: properties and benefits
Thanks to this composition, this tuber has properties and benefits for our health that are very useful to us.
Benefits of maca and its uses
The nutritional components of this food make it an ideal complement to the usual diet, especially if you have certain deficiencies and especially in the case of vegans, people with a tendency to have anemia, women with problems related to menstruation, among other cases. Among its benefits, it stands out that:
- It helps prevent premature aging of cells, which is why it is used in both beauty and health treatments, in this case related to the skin, the heart and other vital organs.
- It helps to feel full, which is why many people use it to help regulate hunger and lose weight more easily with adapted diets and exercise.
- A study from the National University of Trujillo , in Peru, determined that maca contributes to increasing sexual desire , both in men and women. This is due to the fact that it acts the same in stimulating the production of estrogens and testosterone, among other aspects.
- Being a source of carbohydrates, protein and because it is an antioxidant, it is considered a particularly beneficial food for athletes.
- In some women, it serves to regulate some problems with menstruation, such as severe pain or irregular periods, poly cystic ovaries and with the chances of getting pregnant, since it increases estrogens and stimulates blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus , for being demagogue. In this other post you can learn more about How to take maca to get pregnant.
- By raising estrogen, it also works to reduce the annoying symptoms of menopause.
- Being stimulating, antioxidant and generalizing, it provides a high dose of energy, for this reason, among other aspects, it is used a lot by athletes, very active people and those who come out of a disease that has left them with low energy, such as a flu or if they have been in bed a long time.
Taking into account all these benefits, you can become aware of the healthy food that is maca and its positive effects on the body. Even so, you should always consume it together with more products and not as a single meal since it is not a substitute for a daily meal and, if consumed in this inappropriate way, its properties would be scarce for the daily needs of your body. Therefore, it is always advisable that you consult with your doctor whether to take it or not and how it is best in your case, whether you want it to lose weight, to improve some aspect of your menstrual or sexual health, etc.