The binging refers to the excessive and uncontrolled consumption anxious much amount of one or more food to satisfy his hunger or to reduce anxiety. It is true that this behavior in a timely manner does not pose a great risk to the health of the body, however when it becomes recurrent and unstoppable, it has an enormous influence on weight gain , in addition to the emotional state of the person who You tend to feel guilty after gorging yourself. If you need some tips to help you avoid binge eating, eat a healthy diet and maintain your ideal weight, pay attention to the ones we show you in this article.
Steps to follow:
1. Most of the time, binge eating has little to do with being hungry but rather is the result of a specific state of mind in which you are anxious, stressed or nervous. Therefore, the first measure to avoid gorging yourself after hours or when you do not need it, is to maintain control and try to modify that mood to combat, ultimately, anxiety about food.
To begin with, it will be useful to change your emotions by carrying out activities that distract you and generate pleasant feelings, go for a walk, meet with your friends, go to events, read a book, spend time with family. Everything that makes you feel good and comfortable will help you combat that anxiety that leads you to overeat.
2. Likewise, doing relaxing activities or disciplines that help you channel your nerves such as yoga, Pilates or Reiki, will also help you to be less anxious at the end of the day, in addition to favoring your rest at night.
If these disciplines are not your thing, try to do any physical activity that you like, because exercising is ideal to calm anxiety, release endorphins and tension, something that in addition to helping you maintain control against binge eating, will benefit to your health in general and will allow you to define your figure.
3. It is important that you analyze when during the day you feel the need to binge, so you can anticipate the situation and stay strong avoiding temptation. Think about whether the need to gorge yourself on food occurs in the middle of the afternoon, before going to sleep or in the middle of the night and try to change your habits and what you usually do at that time to avoid that momentary anxiety.
4. One of the most effective measures that can be taken to avoid binge eating is to greatly reduce access to that food or type of food that leads you to lose control and succumb to temptation. For this, it is important that you review your shopping list, exclude from it those foods high in calories that you want to snack between meals and, on the contrary, buy healthy foods. In this way, when you go to the fridge or the cabinets in search of something to eat, you will not find foods that you should not consume in excess, such as sweets, chocolates, snacks, cookies, cakes, sweets, soft drinks, etc.
5. Another fundamental element is to follow a balanced diet and eat 5 meals a day in small portions, so you will reduce your appetite and you will not have to be snacking between meals or suddenly binge because you feel hungry. In addition, it is advisable that you spend enough time to eat (between 20 and 30 minutes) slowly chewing food and enjoying the food; with this, you will feel more satiated and you will avoid starving. If you want to know what other alternatives can work to reduce your appetite, check the tips in the article Tips to eliminate hunger.
6. Here are some of the indications that professional nutritionists recommend to their patients to combat food cravings and watch their weight:
- Prefer complex carbohydrates: These are digested more slowly than simple carbohydrates and help keep sugar levels stable. That is why instead of sweets, pastries or sugary foods, it is much healthier to eat, for example, a bowl of oatmeal, whole grains or pasta.
- Eat raw vegetables: some vegetables eaten raw such as carrots or celery help reduce anxiety by releasing tension in the jaw and are ideal for maintaining weight.
- Increase consumption of omega 3: the foods rich in omega – 3, such as oily fish, seeds or vegetable oils, regulate cortisol production which is the hormone related to stress and protect you against disorders such as depression.
- Take in more vitamin C: This nutrient is essential to reduce stress levels but also to keep the immune system strong.
If despite following all these tips and making great efforts, you cannot avoid binge eating – which occurs continuously – and you feel that you have a highly dependent relationship with food, then you should seek psychological help and put yourself in the hands of nutritionist’s professionals to help you overcome this problem and take care of your health.
This article is merely informative, here we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.