The vitamin from the sun, popularly known as vitamin D, is one of the most important vitamins for our body, given its incidence in multiple processes to keep both our skin and our bone structure in perfect condition.
You may know the benefits of vitamin D on the skin, but … have you ever wondered what other benefits vitamin D has? Next, we tell you why our body needs this vitamin, how beneficial it is and where we can obtain it from in order to acquire the contributions of this nutrient.
What is and what is vitamin D for
Vitamin D, also known as the sunshine vitamin, is a nutrient that our body produces naturally thanks to direct sun exposure. It is a fundamental vitamin for our body, since it helps to maintain, mainly, our skin and our bones.
Vitamin D belongs to the group of fat-soluble vitamins, that is, it is stored in the fatty tissue of the body. Thus, its deficit can lead to the appearance of degenerative diseases such as osteoporosis, generate discomfort or muscle aches and even affect the person through insomnia or depression.
Normally we absorb it directly through the sun and food, although if we have a deficiency of this vitamin, we can also take vitamin D supplements that we find on the Super Smart website.
Properties and benefits of vitamin D
Knowing what the benefits of vitamin D are, will allow you to know the scope of the properties that this nutrient provides to our body. The most prominent benefits are:
Calcium and phosphorus absorption
The main function of vitamin D is to assimilate minerals such as calcium or phosphorus, which allows fixing the bone structure and thus preventing problems such as osteoporosis.
Thanks to vitamin D, bone calcification, fragility of the structure of the bones and prone breakage are avoided if a good fixed dose of calcium is not available.
Strengthening the immune system
Our body requires vitamin D to fight viral and bacterial diseases. Thus, its consumption allows strengthening the immune system and keeping us healthier. Hence, in part, it is said that when we are sick it is so good to eat oranges.
Improves the nervous system
Vitamin D directly influences the transmission of nerve impulses between the brain and the body, which favors the proper functioning of the nervous system, facilitating muscle contractions.
In this sense, the acquisition of this nutrient is more important, if possible, in developing children and athletes.
Improves blood pressure
Vitamin D allows you to balance blood pressure levels, thus preventing the development of heart disease, so the nutrient helps to strengthen the heart.
Keeps the skin hydrated
Vitamin D is also very good for dry skin, since one of the benefits of vitamin D on the skin is that it maintains its hydration. Despite the fact that vitamin D is necessary, constant exposure to the sun is not good, since if so, the opposite would happen: the skin would be dry and damaged.
However, vitamin D3 specifically (a vitamin belonging to the group of vitamins D), protects the skin from dehydration and UVA rays, helping us to make our dermis look much healthier.
In this sense, it is not that vitamin D hydrates the skin exactly, but that it prevents it from becoming dehydrated and damaged , as one of the symptoms of a lack of vitamin D is dry skin.
Taking vitamin D daily can help us reduce the chances of developing cancer, specifically breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men.
Likewise, scientific studies have observed that this vitamin is beneficial for the treatment of ovarian and uterine cancer.
On the other hand, vitamin D is also very important for hair, as it helps prevent hair loss, as well as providing shine and strength. Also, vitamin D helps to make hair grow faster.
If you want to know the best foods with vitamin D, do not miss this article on other foods rich in vitamin D.
Lack of vitamin D: symptoms
As we have pointed out previously, vitamin D is a fundamental nutrient for our body. The lack of this vitamin can affect our health and our mood, so it is essential to know the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency to give it even more value. Namely:
- Weakness in the bones: in its main function, the deficiency of vitamin D can lead to problems in the bone structure, such as pain or discomfort.
- Tooth weakness or cavities: the lack of vitamin D can affect the teeth, favoring the appearance of cavities or the weakening of the teeth.
- Depression: if our body lacks vitamin D, the feeling of sadness increases. This occurs because serotonin levels fall due to lack of sun exposure, which makes us more prone to depression.
- Heart disease: the absence of vitamin D in our body increases the risk of suffering from heart disease or diabetes, since the vitamin has a close relationship with circulation and glucose monopolization processes.
- Stomach problems: if you suffer from gastrointestinal problems, the absorption of fats and, therefore, of said vitamin, is difficult, since it is fat-soluble. Gastrointestinal problems may not allow you to obtain this vitamin adequately, which translate into other problems, such as those we have discussed above.
How to take vitamin D
The main ways to obtain vitamin D are through direct exposure to sunlight or food:
- Sun Exposure– Go outside every day to enjoy the natural light. Taking the sun between 15 and 30 minutes a day will be necessary for your skin to produce vitamin D.
- Food: eggs, dairy, salmon, tuna, red meat, red fruits … These are some of the foods that will allow you to get a good dose of vitamin D.
However, it is also possible to take it in the form of supplements, something very necessary for people with darker skin, since the melanin present in the skin makes it difficult to absorb vitamin D through sun exposure.
Benefits of taking vitamin D supplements
Vitamin D supplements will allow you to supplement your diet and sun exposure in order to achieve good levels of this nutrient.
If you had symptoms of a lack of vitamin D, vitamin supplements will help you regain your health.
How to Take Vitamin D Supplements
Before starting supplementation, it is necessary for a doctor to measure your vitamin D levels through a blood test to adjust the appropriate intake dose.
Dietary supplements in children allow children to develop their bones properly and avoid diseases such as rickets.
Now that you know what the benefits of vitamin D are, you may also be interested in this article on Properties and benefits of Rhodium Rose.